Thursday, January 8, 2015

Day Ten



Our ship caught up with the oil tanker that had passed us earlier. It was stopped, and at first I assumed that it had suffered some damage during the storm. When we got closer, I could see that the crew of the ship was standing along the edge, with their arms linked together. One of our sailors called out to them, but they did not reply. Then, as we watched, the man at the end of their line jumped off the edge of the ship. One after another, the rest of their crew were pulled into the dark water below. At first, I thought they were performing some kind of stunt. When I saw that none of them were coming back up, I ordered lifeboats be sent down to try and rescue them.

Most of the sailors had sunk too deep to be saved by the time anyone got down there. Teika-kun jumped into the water and was able to pull one onto the lifeboat. That man was the only person we managed to rescue. He has yet to regain consciousness, but I am told that his life is not in danger.

No comments:

Post a Comment